Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Back in the (former) USSR, Kazakhstan Redoubt


Returned to Kazakhstan in early May of 2011 to continue the journey west. My bike had been shipped from Petropavlosk, where I left off in September, to Almaty in the south, and stored by my good friend Yeldos.
Pictured above on the patio of the Eldoro Restaurant from right to left, Yeldos, myself and Andrej Bormasters, a Finnish motorcycle traveller who had come up from South Korea the previous year on his way home to Finland and had met Simon and Monica. He happened to be in Almaty on business in May.


Maury, Yeldo's business partner and manager of the Eldoro Restaurant in Shymkent, on the patio of the Eldoro. Elena is on the left.



While I was in Almaty Yeldos was opening a new restaurant at the edge of the city, specializing in "plov", a fried rice specialty in Central Asia. It was delicious!


Yeldos and Maury with Mohammed, an Algerian expat working in Almaty. There is a fascinating mix of people from all over working in Almaty taking advantage of the business opportunities provided by the booming economy, based on oil wealth.

Elena and her sister, Eldoro Restaurant.

My last photo with two great people that I was lucky to have met in Kazakhstan.



On my way north, leaving from the front of the Eldoro, heading to Petropavlosk and the Russian border, two and one half days to the north. It was difficult to leave!

North Central Kazakhstan, rolling steppe, lots of wide open space and a good highway.


Spring seeding was in full swing south of Petropavlosk, much like you'd see during springtime on the prairies at home.



Eighty km. or so south of Petropavlosk I had another accursed flat tire. A police car came by, flagged down a small truck and three semi drivers to help lift the bike. In short order I was at a tire repair shop, the tire fixed by the fellows pictured above and happily resting for the night in the motel behind them after a great meal in the attached restaurant. Neither the truck driver nor the tire repair men would accept any money for their troubles!


Arrived in Petopavlosk the next morning. Above is the park behind the hotel where I stayed, the hotel in the background. Sixty km. from the Russian border, the city and it's surroundings has a very Siberian feel to it

The vast majority of the people are ethnic Russians. This area was at least until recently home to a lot of farmers of German descent brought in during the time of Catherine the Great to farm the rich agricultural land.

My friend Alexander and his beautiful granddaughter Sasha. Alexander was very kind and helpful to me the previous September

Gorgeous child.

Goodbye Kazakhstan. All the Stans were interesting to me and we met good people everywhere, but I must say that Kazakhstan and it's people will always hold a special place in my heart! I was sorry to leave. Off to European Russia next.




















A- Almaty, B-Petropavlosk.





























































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment